We are very keen at Penny Bridge Nursery in ensuring that are Preschoolers are ready to transition to Reception. Challenging activities created to get their mind thinking and using Literacy, Mathematical and Physical skills are available everyday and we always encourage all the Preschoolers to particaipate. We provide Letters and Sound Phase 1 and Phase 2 (if they are ready) for the Pre-school children most days. We also encourage the children to use the toilet, eat their lunch and get changed independently if they are able to do so. Below is a list of things you can do at home to ensure your child is ready for that next big step.
Get…set….go….ready for school!
10 tips to ensure your child is ready for school!
- Encourage your children to change their own clothes and shoes.
- Encourage your child to go to the toilet and wash their hands independently.
- Encourage your child to use a knife and fork at meal times.
- Read lots of stories and look at books together.
- Sit quietly for a few moments and list the different sounds you can hear….inside or out.
- Play ‘I spy’. Take turns so that your child has to listen to and name initial sounds.
- Make up lists of rhyming words. Start with short familiar words – dog, log frog…..leg, peg, beg….add silly or made up words so long as they end in the same sound. E.g. leg, peg, beg, teg, meg….
- Look for shapes: round the house, when you’re out for a walk, wherever you happen to be….or for a change, look for colours or textures.
- Encourage your child to count lots of different things, using his or her finger to point at each item, one by one.
- Give your child a small number of items and ask him or her to share them out with you, brothers and sisters or teddies. If the items won’t share out fairly ask for their suggestions about what to do with any left overs.
Transition to Penny Bridge
Transition dates are:
Thursday 26th May - 11am-12pm
Thursday 9th June - 11am-12pm
Thursday 16th June - 10.25am-12pm
Thursday 23rd June - 10.25am-12pm
Thursday 30th June - 10.25am-12pm
Thursday 7th July - 10.25am-1pm
Thursday 14th July - 10.25am - 1pm
Transition to other Schools
If your child has a transition day at another school that is during their usual nursery hours please can you inform us so we know your child won't be at nursery that day.